Volunteer Coordinator/Special Projects Assistant (Internship)
The Word On The Street Toronto
Location: Toronto, ON
Deadline for applicants: May 27th, 2013
Date posted: May 13th, 2013
About The Word On The Street
The Word On The Street (WOTS) Toronto, is Canada’s largest annual book and magazine festival; taking place in September each year, it now attracts over 215,000 booklovers to Queen’s Park Circle in downtown Toronto. One of our city’s best and most popular events—featuring a lively exhibitor marketplace, top-notch author readings and quality family programming—The Word On The Street Toronto is a non-profit organization that celebrates Canadian reading and writing, and advocates literacy.
The Word On The Street relies on the dedication and support of over 240 volunteers to bring the festival to life each year. In 2013, we are seeking a confident, organized Volunteer Coordinator to manage the Volunteer Program. There will also be a special projects component to this position, which will involve supporting the Festival Director with marketing initiatives and administrative tasks.
This is a full-time volunteer internship, running from June to end of September. Monthly honourarium for this internship is $1,000 per month ($4,000 in total).
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Recruit approximately 250 volunteers from names of past volunteers, website inquiries and public recruitment strategies.
- Update and maintain our substantial database of interested volunteers.
- Liaise with and maintain good communication with volunteers in response to queries, etc.
- Plan and execute Volunteer Appreciation/training initiatives as directed.
- Schedule volunteers for festival day and pre-festival duties based on the tasks provided and volunteers interests/skills.
- Manage volunteers working in the office in the lead up to the festival
- Distribute and collect signed volunteer indemnity forms
- Update and distribute festival day information packages to all volunteers
- Secure and liaise with up to two on site trainers who will revise and deliver a short but necessary training lecture to all volunteers on the day of the festival, before they are deployed.
- Write monthly e-newsletters to keep volunteers involved with and knowledgeable about the 2013 Festival.
- Prepare merchandise, festival supplies and all volunteer information binders for Festival day.
- Write volunteer related content for the festival’s e-newsletter and blog and edit/proofread/fact-check the content of submissions by others.
- Be on-site on the festival weekend (Friday, September 20 – Sunday, September 22, 2013) to oversee volunteers, assist The Word On The Street team, and answer questions from visitors and exhibitors.
- Work to stay within budget when planning all volunteer meals and other activities
- Write a wrap-up report for 2013. The report should summarize the activities of the position and make recommendations for the following year.
- Create volunteer participation documentation as required (records the number of hours a volunteer contributes)
- Assist with putting together two exhibitor mailings
- Assist with office administrative tasks as directed
- Research, plan, and coordinate the distribution of all print promotional materials (Festival Programs, posters, bookmarks) throughout Toronto and the GTA.
- College or university education in event management or the arts, with a demonstrated interest in Canadian writing and publishing
- Event or festival experience is an advantage (but not a requirement)
- Highest level of attention to detail
- Exemplary interpersonal skills
- Excellent writing, copy editing, proofreading skills
- Excellent organizational, time management, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and prioritize tasks according to urgency
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure
- Positive attitude and willingness to learn
- You must also be a mature-minded, confident, team player, who is able to maintain a sense of humour in a fast paced environment
- **Must be available the entire festival weekend (September 21st and 22nd, 2013)**
If interested, please forward your cover letter and resume, in confidence, by May 27, 2013, to firstname.lastname@example.org. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only successful candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls.