Guess what! The Word On The Street has a brand new internship opportunity available in 2012. We are looking to hire a Programming Assistant (Intern) this year to assist the Festival Director in coordinating the artistic program of the Festival.
Interested? I hope you are 🙂 Here’s the job posting:
Programming Assistant (Internship)
The Word On The Street Toronto
Location: Toronto, ON
Web site: www.thewordonthestreet.ca
Deadline for applicants: March 30th, 2012
Date posted: March 5th, 2012
About The Word On The Street
The Word On The Street (WOTS) Toronto, is Canada’s largest annual book and magazine festival; taking place in September each year, it now attracts over 215,000 booklovers to Queen’s Park Circle in downtown Toronto. One of our city’s best and most popular events—featuring a lively exhibitor marketplace, top-notch author readings and quality family programming—The Word On The Street Toronto is a non-profit organization that celebrates Canadian reading and writing, and advocates literacy.
As The Word On The Street Toronto moves toward its 23rd festival, The Word On The Street is looking for a Programming Assistant to support the Festival Director with coordinating the artistic program of the event.
This is a full-time internship position, running from May to end of September. Remuneration for this internship is $1,000 per month ($5,000 in total).
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Liaise with publicists, presenters, performers and hosts
- Maintain a database with up-to-date and accurate programming information; ensure author/book submissions are processed accurately and in a timely manner
- Facilitate the creation and mailing of all artist invitations and scheduling confirmations/festival day information letters
- Gather content for Festival Program (artwork, headshots, bios, book descriptions)
- Coordinate travel and accommodation arrangements for all pertinent authors
- Prepare comprehensive event tent binders
- Create detailed sales lists to ensure all required book titles are stocked by the Official Booksellers
- Draft and proofread programming content for Festival Programs, Toronto Star Festival Guide and website
- Create programming-related press releases, and media kits
- Write content for a bi-monthly e-newsletter, festival blog and Twitter page
- Support the Festival Director with management of festival-day programming
- College or university education in the arts with a demonstrated interest in Canadian writing and publishing
- Highest level of attention to detail
- Exemplary interpersonal skills
- Excellent writing, copy editing, proofreading skills
- Excellent organizational, time management, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and prioritize tasks according to urgency
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure
- Positive attitude and willingness to learn
- You must also be a mature-minded, confident, team player, who is able to maintain a sense of humour in a fast paced environment
- **Must be available the entire festival weekend (September 22nd and 23rd, 2012)**
If interested, please forward your cover letter and resume, in confidence, by March 30, 2012, to firstname.lastname@example.org. The Word on The Street Toronto is an equal opportunity Employer. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only successful candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls.